Southwest Tofu Scramble

I love making tofu scramble on the weekends. The ingredients are always a bit of a surprise, as I’ll just use whatever veggies are left-over from the week. Red pepper (capsicum), mushrooms, spinach, rocket… all have been in there at some point. I also add turmeric, which really brightens the meal and makes it look a little more like scrambled eggs. (Not that you necessarily want to pretend to be eating eggs (ew!), but this way, you don’t feel as though you’re just eating a plate of mashed tofu!) The best reason to add turmeric, however, is for its many healing properties. Other than being the source of color in American mustard and curry dishes, a lot of us in the West don’t consume enough of this important spice. This is a great way to incorporate it into your diet.

Southwest Tofu Scramble - Vegan & Gluten-Free

Today’s version ended-up taking-on a little bit of a Southwest vibe. I mashed-up half a block of firm organic tofu, along with a little salt, pepper, and turmeric. I then sautéed a quarter of a diced red pepper (capsicum) for a couple minutes, and added the tofu mixture to it, cooking on medium-low heat, along with a handful of chopped fresh coriander (cilantro), until cooked through. I served it all on a bed of baby spinach, and topped it off with diced avocado. Served alongside a couple pieces of wholemeal bread, and some fresh citrus, this is a wonderful way to start the day. By the way, I almost always include spinach in this dish, because of its high-iron content. Remember that your absorption of iron is greatly increased when a food containing vitamin C is eaten at the same meal. This is why I’ll always include a few slices of fresh citrus – it beats store-bought orange-juice any day!

Update

I meant to mention my old high school buddy Linda in this post, but got caught-up with editing and totally forgot. Linda and her two gorgeous kids LOVE tofu scramble. This post is for you, bella! X

1. The Mistress of Spices says:

Mmmm, sounds good! I’ve had tofu scramble at several vegan places for brunch but have never made it myself. I’m inspired to try now!

Hello Mistress :)
      Thanks for your comment! It’s super easy to make, and so satisfying! I have a Mediterranean version coming soon… X

• Lynnette says:

This looks really appetizing – looking forward to trying it. Also very interested in the Mediterranean version. Hope you post it soon.
        Thank you.

2. TK says:

This looks & sounds amazing! I’m sorry, but I am very new to cooking with tofu (& new to vegan cooking in general)…would it be possible for me to make this ahead and warm up at work? Or is tofu not reheat friendly? Thanks, Vegangela! :)

Thanks for your comment! Absolutely, you can make it ahead and reheat it. You may want to sprinkle a few drops of water on top before re-heating it in the microwave. And of course, cut the avocado up fresh so that it doesn’t turn brown. This would be great in a sandwich or wrap too…

• TK says:

Perfect! Loving the wrap idea ~ Thanks again!!

You’re very welcome, thanks for taking the time to comment and feel free to ask me any other tofu-related questions! Haha! :)

3. Nathalie says:

Add some Indian black salt….It’s a must and it will take your scramble up to the next level!

Yes, some readers have already mentioned that. I’ll keep an eye out for it, thanks!

4. Lorraine says:

Scrambled Tofu is one of my all time favourites. I experiment adding different ingredients and every time I love it, so much I always wants seconds, but I don’t.

Before I got into this vegan stuff all I had done with tofu is lightly fry it. Now I am experimenting using it in different ways and scrambled is by far my favourite.

Loz

Nice to “meet” another scrambled tofu fan! I love it too. It’s so versatile, and I love how you can toss in almost any veggie you have in the fridge!

5. Ivy says:

This is amazing! just like all your other tofu recipes. It really looks like a typical Southwest Scramble. I will definitely be using it more in the kitchen now.

• Yay! Let me know if you try it (and what other recipes you’ve tried) x

What Others Are Saying About This