Vegan “Tuna” Salad Sandwich

Vegan MoFo #29 – I missed a post yesterday, which is disappointing because I was so proud of the fact that once I got settled from my vacation in Fiji, I posed everyday something everyday in November. I was really determined to make-up for the first 11 days of the Vegan Month of Food challenged that I missed due to being away. Oh well, one missed day isn’t too bad and I’m really happy with my the special creations that I came up with this month, like my Quinoa-Stuffed Thanksgiving Squash and my Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms w/ Roasted Red Pepper Coulis.

Vegan “Tuna” Salad Sandwich (made with chickpeas) - Gluten-Free

Today, I thought I’d post a photo of my version Andy @ In MyVegan Life’s Vegan “Tuna” Salad Sandwich recipe. I’ve made similar recipes before using firm tofu, but I really like the use of chickpeas in this one. It’s great for people with soy allergies, and it’s more convenient – at least for me – because I always have a couple cans of chickpeas on hand. Lately, I’ve been trying to cut-back on wheat and heavy carbs (like bread), so I spread the mixture on brown-rice cakes instead. I love the super thin rice cakes because they’re really light but you can still pile a lot of stuff on them. I didn’t have any celery on hand, but topped everything with thin slices of cucumber instead. This is a great little recipe to have on hand, especially for those times when you want something filling and familiar. Adding the vinegar really does add a bit of “sharpness” and this definitely reminded me of the tuna sandwiches that I ate growing up. Thanks Andy!

PS. I’ve been cooking-up a storm over the past few days so I have a lot of yummy posts coming this week. Can’t wait to share everything with you all! X

Vegan Month of Food

1. daina says:

ooooh… this sounds yummy!! and i was going to make tuna and creamed corn on toast this week…. might try it with chick peas and see if its any good

another way to eat these would be as vol-a-vents!

Tuna and creamed corn? Never heard of it! This is super yummy and easy! Let me know if you make it! :))

2. Thanks for directing to the recipe, I’m going to try it. I’ve made this one with variations: http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/vegetarian-lunch-chickpea-of-the-sea-114022

I add shredded nori seaweed to give that taste of the ocean. Am loving your blog!!

Thanks for your comment! I’ve heard about adding nori… need to remember to try that next time. Thanks for the tips! :)

3. This is a wonderful idea and I’m always looking for something light and less “carby” to eat at work. My goal for the new year is to have these kinds of easy to prepare meals with the freshest ingredients and minimal carbs and junk. Thank you .

Me too! Glad you’ll be able to use it too, and yeah it’s super easy to make and way more work-friendly than regular tuna! Oh, one of the readers above commented on adding a bit of nori, so you may want to try that! Thanks for your comment! :)

4. Taylor says:

Thank you so much for this recipe! Quite good! I eat lots of veggie sandwiches, but I am trying to add more protein to my diet. Naturally, this fit the bill.
    P.S. Your blog is terrific!

Woah, you dug-up one of my OLD recipes! Glad you liked it – I make this often for a quick protein fix. Thanks for taking the time to comment :)

5. Dixie says:

Inspiring! So grateful to come across your blog. Thank you for sharing your ideas! :)

You’re so welcome. Please let me know if you try anything :)