Vegan Sugar Cookies

I try to eat pretty well during the year but all my rules concerning minimal sugar and margarine go out the door during the holidays. Being 1/2 French Canadian, food was a big part of Christmas when I was growing up. Because I’m vegan these days, I think it’s really important to not feel left-out during the holidays, so I like making a few things for myself. I also enjoy sharing cruelty-free versions of traditional holiday treats with my non-vegan friends and family.

I haven’t made sugar cookies in years but thought that they would be fun and festive for the guests that would be staying with us or stopping by over the holidays. The first result for “vegan sugar cookies” in Google brought me to John&Kristie’s Perfect Vegan Sugar Cookies – and I didn’t bother looking at any other recipes. Those gorgeous colorful Fall leaves cookies convinced me to make Christmas ones of my own!

Vegan Sugar Cookies

I found that I had to add quite a bit of flour to my counter top to get these to roll-out properly and not stick. But maybe part of the issue was that I was using an empty wine bottle as a rolling pin – hah! The Ex-Pat kitchen is a creative one! ;)

Vegan Sugar Cookies

These cookies are really delicious and because the icing is dipped on, it’s actually pretty thin so there isn’t any “death-by-icing” happening. This is a great basic vegan sugar cookie that would work for many different occasions. Check out John&Kristie’s Halloween Sugar Cookies that they made with the same recipe. So cute!

Vegan Sugar Cookies

Santa prefers vegan cookies and rice milk!

Recipe: Perfect Vegan Sugar Cookies

1. I’ve had a lot of sweets this holiday season but not sugar cookies. I want yours! Those look delicious. I figure I have a few more days of “off” eating before resuming my normal diet of whole and healthy foods. Where can I find sugar cookies???? :)

Thanks for your comment – let me know if you decide to make them… still a few days until New Year’s resolutions… :)

2. I just love the way you decorated those! Simple and chic!

Thanks!! :)

3. Emmy says:

They look so cute! Very pretty!!

Thanks Emmy!

4. They look gorgeous!

Thank you, miss K! :)

5. I have made this recipe before & it’s fabulous! Your cookies are adorable, and I’m sure they’re delicious.

I have used a wine bottle as a rolling pin before, too! Hahaha. Great minds…?

Great minds for sure – thanks for your comment! :)

6. I recently discovered your blog-it’s so cute! I love how those Christmas cookies are decorated. I had originally been looking for a vegan sugar cookie recipe the other day, myself and it led me to the same recipe you’ve discovered. It also brought me to your blog so I’m glad I had the hankering for sweets! :)

Thanks so much for your kind words – did you try the cookies? I ate most of them… back to the gym next week!

7. your cookies are so cute, love the way you decorated them.

May this new year bring many opportunities to your way,
    to explore every joy of life
    &
    may your resolutions for the days ahead stay firm,
    turning all your dreams into reality
    and all your efforts into great achievements.
    Happy New Year to you & your loved ones.

THANKS for that – you’re too sweet! XX

8. Carrie says:

Would love to have your cookbook but before I do I am soy intolerant. Do these recipes contain tofu of any kind?

I don’t have a cookbook. All the recipes are posted, just look through them and pick the ones without soy/tofu. Let me know if you have any questions :)

9. Heather says:

Has anyone tried making these using ground flax seed and water as egg replacements?

Not me… give it a go and let us know? :)

10. Karen says:

Hi,

My dough’s been in the fridge for 2 hours and when I tried to roll it out, it crumbled to pieces! It was very crumbly even when I was forming it into dough but by kneading it well, it did come together. I’m leaving it in the fridge overnight, hopefully it will roll out nicely tomorrow. Any idea why it’s crumbling?

Thanks!

Oh no! Did you use the exact ingredients from the recipe?

• Karen says:

Yes, the exact same. Maybe I didn’t knead the dough enough? I was a bit afraid it’d be tough if I did…I have never actually made cookies that need to be rolled out. It’s still very crumbly this morning (it’s 9 o’clock here!). I’ll see what I can do, but if you’ve any insight…

Thanks!

I would add a bit of water and kneed the dough again. Stick it in the fridge for an hour and see if it’s easier to roll-out. It should be a little bit sticky – that’s why you flour your work surface. I really hope this works for you. Let me know?

11. Karen says:

Ouf, cookies are baked and taste good, and… they are squirrel shaped!! Adding water did help to roll it out, but it wasn’t a smooth or stretchy dough by any means. It just didn’t crumble, but it was thick and hard to roll. Dunno what went wrong… I checked the internet for tips too, crumbly cookied dough seems to be pretty common! Apparently, we shouldn’t mix dough too much once we add the flour. But is mixing different from kneading?! Actually, the recipe doesn’t mention kneading, so maybe I shouldn’t have kneaded it! And there’s no liquid in the recipe – I found I had to add at least a couple of tablespoons to make it barely sticky enough to keep together.

Thanks for your help :) Now, I’m off to attempt the icing – hope they come out as nice as yours!

Hi Karen! Thanks for the update – I’ve been thinking about you and hoping you’d let me know how they ended up. Glad to hear that they taste good. That’s the most important part!

Kneading may have been the problem. I know that you should never over-mix muffins or cupcakes because the gluten in the flour gets activated and it can make them dense. That may be what happened to you?

Good luck with the icing!

12. Gabby says:

White sugar, all purpose flour, and confectioners aren’t vegan

Yes they are – it depends on the brand. Thanks for stopping by!