Check out this recipe for Pretty Darn Raw Vegan Cheesecake from Allyson @ Manifest Vegan. Like Allyson, I’m trying to incorporate more raw foods into my diet. Thankfully that doesn’t just mean eating more salad! This recipe is proof that you can make delicious raw desserts that compare in flavor and decadence to traditional recipes.
In this case, the cashews and coconut oil create a rich and creamy filling – not like the bland tofu cheesecakes you may have tried in the past. And the crust is a breeze! Making pie crust is probably my least-favorite part of baking, and I always find it a hassle to find vegan graham cookies when I need them. But who needs all that when you can make a perfectly delicious (and way healthier) crust made from just 2 ingredients: almonds and dates?!
- I ran a quick nutritional check on this, and it turns out that it has about the same fat content as a regular New York cheesecake. But it’s all “healthy” fats so you don’t have to feel as guilty about it, right? Right!
- While it’s probably not an “everyday” dessert – this is an awesome option for those of us who are vegan, dairy-free, or choosing to eat more raw foods. (High-end restaurants: are you listening? No more fresh-fruit cups… I want raw vegan cheesecake!)
- The shot below was taken straight from the freezer so the slice looks a lot more firm than it was after a few hours in the fridge. One of these days, I will learn to be patient!
- Allyson topped her cheesecake with an awesome blackberry coulis and I happened to have kiwifruit and strawberries on hand, so that’s what I used. Be creative!
- Also, I recently modified this recipe a little bit to make a new variation of this cheesecake. Stay tuned for that!
Recipe: Pretty Darn Raw Vegan Cheesecake