I saw a shrimp-based version of this recipe in Chatelaine magazine a few years ago and have been serving-up veganized ever since. In fact, made it for my parents when I was home visiting them last month. Instead of shrimp, I use tofu, and I marinade it for a little while before grilling it. The coconut rice is simple and delicious, and it pairs so well with the spicy tofu, cool cucumber, and sweet mango.
NOTE: Although the original recipe called for barbecuing the
shrimp tofu, I find that it’s equally good sauteed on the stove. So while it’s a great summer recipe, this is also nice any time of the year when you’re in the mood for something with a little tropical flair! I’ve included both options in the recipe below.
- 8 wooden skewers, soaked for 20 minutes (if barbecuing)
- 400-mL can coconut milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) basmati or other long-grain rice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cardamom (optional)
- 1 cinnamon stick (or ½ tsp ground cinnamon)
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) crushed red chili pepper
- ½ lb (250 g) green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and sliced into thin bite-size strips
- ½ English cucumber, coarsely chopped
- 1 package firm tofu, cut into triangles
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable or coconut oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each ground coriander and garlic powder
- fresh coriander (cilantro) (garnish, optional)
- Place tofu in a bowl. Add oil, coriander and garlic salt. Toss to coat and set aside.
- Pour coconut milk into a large measuring cup. Add water to make 2+1/2 cups (625 mL). Pour into a large saucepan. Stir in rice, cardamom, cinnamon stick, salt and crushed red chili pepper. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir and reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, 10 min.
- After rice has cooked 10 min, scatter beans on top of rice. Cover and cook, until liquid is absorbed, 10 min.
- Discard cinnamon stick if using. Pour rice mixture into a large bowl. Gently fold in onions, mango and cucumber. Set aside.
- If barbecuing the tofu: Oil grill and preheat barbecue to medium. Thread 4 to 5 tofu triangles on a skewer. For easy turning, thread a second skewer through tofu. Repeat. Grill for about 2 min per side. Otherwise, heat oil in frying pan and saute tofu for a few minutes, until lightly browned.
- Serve tofu over coconut rice salad, garnish with fresh coriander (cilantro).