Beach Day

Hi everyone! Today’s post is going to be short and sweet, as I’ve been out all day and I’m heading out in an hour to meet friends for dinner. This afternoon, my man and I spent a few hours on Sydney’s iconic Bondi Beach, and then we came home to do some hill running around our neighborhood. It was a perfect mix of laziness and fitness!

We packed a few snacks in our cooler (or “esky”, as they’re called here). I always keep bottles of water in the freezer – they keep everything cold in the cooler, and that way we always have super cold water on the beach…

Cooler

Within just 15 minutes, we were at the beach…

Bondi Beach

And chose our spot…

Bondi Beach

View to the left

Bondi Beach

View to the right

(We actually used to live in the white building on the right. We miss it, but we also really love living downtown – and it’s only 15 minutes away!)

We kicked-off our flip-flops. They’re called “thongs” here but really, I could never get used to calling them that!

Flip-Flops

We put a lot of this on…

Sunscreen

We nibbled on carrot sticks dipped in hummus. Actually, it was more like chickpea dip, as I we’re out of tahini at the moment. But with lots of lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil and fresh-ground pepper, it was still delicious.

Carrot & Hummus

I picked up this book from Peter Singer (author of Animal Liberation, the book that convinced me to go vegan) for $5 at the markets the other day… so far, so good!

Peter Singer - The President of Good and Evil

We also ate a few mandarin oranges. Do you try to remove the skin in one piece? My brother and I used to do it as kids and I still do it to this day.

Mandarin Orange

Greetings from Sydney, everyone! Hope you’re having a great weekend!

Bondi Beach

Bondi Beach

Vegan Month of Food 2011

1. Oh IM envying the beaches there! Looks gorgeous!!!!

It was the first real beach day today, you would have loved it!

2. Oh looks amazing, we’re just saying goodbye to our beach weather as you’re saying hello to yours.
    <:-)

Thanks Jeni – You got it! Not that the winters here are that bad, but being able to go to the beach every weekend is pretty awesome :)

3. Cara says:

I’m quite sure how I feel that summer is beginning for you guys in Australia… maybe jealous is a good word? :) I’m currently shivering *and* I’m under blankets…

Hi Cara – I know, sorry, I know I’m kind of rubbing it in here… :)

4. Emily says:

Ohhh, I am soooooo jealous! This morning it just dipped below freezing in Munich for the first time this autumn. Brrrrr!!!!

Hi Emily – Sorry, ha ha! I love Autumn though. If Autumn went right into Spring (no winter), it would be the best!!

5. It’s so crazy that you are headed to the beach with sunscreen, while it’s so much cooler here! :) By the way, I just tagged you for a Liebster award in my latest post: http://betterwithveggies.com/2011/10/liebster-award-sharing-the-love. I’m so glad to have found your blog during VeganMoFo!

Hi Heather – Yes, it’s so weird being on the other side of the world and always being the opposite of back home! I’ll go check out your latest post now – thank you!

6. Allysia says:

Summer is definitely becoming a distant memory around here, I’m envious of all that sun and warm! People around here call them thongs too, and yeah, I giggle like a 12 year old whenever someone says that. :)

Hi Allysia – People in Regina call them thongs too?! That’s too funny!

7. Savannah says:

I’ve never been to Bondi Beach & I;ve lived here all my life! How pathetic is that!

Oh my goodness, you have to check it out. It’s such a cool vibe! And you can always sneak over to Tamarama if it gets to be too much :)

8. Vanessa says:

What a perfect day! So jealous!

Thanks Vanessa – I love your blog!!