Orange Julius Protein Shake

I woke up this morning to a wonderful surprise. My Raw Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake made Friday’s Vegan MoFo roundup. Check out the roundup if you haven’t already – I’ve bookmarked pretty much everything else that was featured!

Vegan Orange Julius Protein Shake (Gluten-Free)

I came up with this recipe about 10 years ago, back when I first started making protein shakes. One day after my morning workout, I was out of frozen berries to add to my protein shake, but I did have some orange juice and a banana on hand. I decided to just go with it and after the first sip, it immediately reminded me of… an Orange Julius!

Vegan Orange Julius Protein Shake (Gluten-Free)

Do you remember all the oranges piled up in those acrylic containers? My mom used to buy my brother and I Orange Julius shakes at the mall. I loved the sweet orange/vanilla combination and was so happy to have re-created this childhood favorite. I’ve enjoyed many Orange Julius Protein Shakes ever since!

Orange Julius Protein Shake (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
At the time, I used soy protein, but I recently learned about the dangers of soy protein isolate and decided to investigate other options. I read that pea protein was really healthy, but had a really funky taste. Then I found Phyto Protein’s vanilla flavored pea protein and I’ve been using it ever since. It’s full of protein and extremely low in carbohydrates. Three heaped teaspoons contain:

• 20.5 grams of protein
  • 0.2 grams of carbohydrates
  • 0.325 grams of fat (0.125 grams of saturated fat)
  • 90 calories

It has a great taste and best of all, it blends very well and doesn’t taste “chalky” like a lot of the other protein powders that I’ve tried. I love it!

Vegan Orange Julius Protein Shake (Gluten-Free) Vegan Orange Julius Protein Shake (Gluten-Free)

Orange Julius Protein Shake (Vegan, Gluten-Free)

Vegan Orange Julius Protein Shake

Prep time
Total time

This vegan orange and vanilla protein shake is like an Orange Julius... only healthier! Gluten-Free and Low-Carb.
Author:
Recipe type: Shake, Smoothie, Breakfast, Snack
Serves: 1
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Blend everything in a blender or with a stick (immersion) blender and enjoy immediately.

Vegan Orange Julius Protein Shake (Gluten-Free)

PS. The last time I ran out of pea protein, I decided to order some from The Green Edge’s online store here in Australia. They mistakenly sent me the original (non-vanilla flavor) and when I mentioned it to them, they sent me a vanilla flavored one at no charge and didn’t even ask me to send back the mistaken one. Now that’s customer service! If you live in Australia, I encourage you to check out The Green Edge, and if you’re ever in Brisbane, you can check out their physical store.

Vegan Month of Food 2011

1. Cara says:

Okay okay…really though? This drink was a MUST HAVE whenever I went to the mall as a kid. I *loved* myself an Orange Julius! So now it only seems fitting that I MUST try this! xo

Totally, I used to love Orange Julius! Try this and let me know what you think. A couple strawberries would be great in there too :)

2. Hannah says:

I’ve had such problems with finding non-disgusting protein powders here in Australia that I’m really grateful for your recommendation here, even though – alas! – this smoothie isn’t one I’m likely to make. (Darn oranges, or as I like to call them, “the devil’s fruit” :P ) I shall definitely check out your link once my Sunwarrior is finished!

P.S. Congratulations on the MoFo link! That cheezecake is definitely worthy of endless accolades :)

Thanks Hannah – I was a pretty ecstatic to have made the roundup 3 times this year! You’re not a fan of oranges, then? Well I’m pretty sure that you could try pineapple juice and banana. I’m pretty sure Orange Julius offered that combo and it was delicious. I just looked up the Sunwarrior stuff. Are you using their raw protein? It sounds pretty amazing – what are your thoughts on it?

• Hannah says:

Oh, you deserved all the mentions indeed! Yes, I currently have the Vanilla raw Sunwarrior. I like it! I haven’t had many experiences with protein powder, but brought back several sample packets of vegan protein from the States and they were all revolting :P The only vegan one I’ve seen in Canberra is the Nature’s Path one, and I couldn’t find any positive reviews on the internet, so ending up ordering Sunwarrior online.

Until I found the pea protein, I was using LadyBird’s soy protein and it had this rotten smell that I had to mask with a lot of banana and berries. I’m so happy to have found this one but now you’ve got me thinking about the SunWarrior one – will try and check it out!

• Hannah says:

*stares in horror at the screen* Rotten?! Oh, Angela! I feel like I need to give you a hug for that experience. Though, come to think of it, one of the American ones I had tasted like vomit. Wheeee! :P

3. Sarah Delanty says:

I just made this! Delicious! I had half of a frozen banana that I added and used brown rice protein powder (vanilla) – because that’s what I had on hand and sadly not fresh o.j. BUT IT IS FABULOUS! Thank you!

Hi Sarah, I’m so glad that you liked it and thanks for taking the time to leave a comment :)

4. Nicole says:

This protein shake brings back memories of when I was kid. My mom worked at a pretzel place in the mall and there was an Orange Julius right across from there. Whenever I would go see her at work I would walk right across the way to get one of those drinks. I can’t wait to try this shake and it will help me get out of the rut I have been in lately with my protein shakes!

Hi Nicole – Let me know what you think of it. I totally know what you mean, I get bored with my berry-flavored protein shakes now and then and this is just what I need. I never thought vanilla protein powder would be good with orange juice, but I really like it :)

5. Jennifer Neilson says:

Thanks, this was delicious. I’m currently 22 weeks pregnant with my second and finding it hard to eat and to find a smoothie easy on my time and tummy. This was perfect. So perfect I just had to pin it to share with my friends.

That’s fantastic! I’m so happy the recipe has been of service to you – thanks for letting me know :)

6. Kathy says:

We discovered this 3 days ago and between 3 of us have already made it 4 times. My daughters and I love it! Tastes just like an Orange Julius!

Hey that’s awesome! It’s so much healthier, too. Hope you don’t mind, I’m sharing your comments on my Facebook page.. :)

What Others Are Saying About This