My Favorite Pasta Recipes

What can I say – I’m a sucker for pasta. I honestly don’t think that I could have been vegan all these years without it. So in honor of Vegan MoFo, I thought it I’d compile a list of my favorites. From the carb-overload variety, to super-healthy options, here are my all-time favorite pasta recipes (in no particular order):

1. Spaghetti & Mushroom “Neat” Balls

Mushroom Neat Balls (Vegan Meat Balls)
These babies take a little while to prepare, but they’re way better than any store-bought version. You can even freeze half the batch for later, so they can be enjoyed on a busy weeknight.

2. Best Ever Vegan Mac & Cheese

Vegan Mac n Cheese
What would a vegan blog be without a vegan mac and cheese recipe? This one’s the best one I’ve tried so far, but if you think you’ve got a better one, let me know!

3. Tofu & Spinach Cannelloni

Vegan Tofu & Spinach Cannelloni (Manicotti)
When I first posted this last year, I erroneously labeled it manicotti, when it’s really cannelloni. Regardless, this comfort food is relatively low in carbs because you’re eating way more protein (tofu) than actual pasta.

4. Low-Carb Cannelloni

Vegan Eggplant Manicotti
If you’re really looking for something low-carb, then this is for you. Eggplant is used instead of pasta shells, but it’s not that much more work and it tastes great.

5. Pesto Pasta

Zucchini Noodles with Fresh Pesto
Sorry for the boring photo – but this stuff rarely hangs around long enough for a photo shoot. There’s really no better use for fresh basil than to make your own homemade pesto. And if freezed as single portions in an ice cube tray (learn how), you can enjoy it all winter long. It’s great mixed into mayo, on bruschetta… pasta is just the beginning for this versatile sauce!

6. Vegan Yum Yum’s Tomato Cream Sauce

Vegan Yum Yum's Tomato Cream Sauce
Whether you make the Tofutti-based one, or the cashew based one (or a combination of both, as I’ve done a few times), this is a real winner. So rich and creamy, it rivals anything you’d pay $16 for in a restaurant!

7. Raw Vegan Alfredo Sauce with Zucchini Noodles

Raw Vegan Alfredo Sauce with Zucchini Noodles
This recipe uses fresh zucchini as pasta – oh, and the sauce works well heated-up as well…

8. Fresh Tomato, Basil and Lemon Zucchini Pasta

Tomato & Zucchini Pasta
Again, this uses zucchini for the pasta. The flavors are so fresh and vibrant, I think I’ve made this 5-6 times since discovering it in August. It’s that good!

Q: What are your favorite pasta recipes?

Vegan Month of Food 2011

1. Your making me very hungry. I am in love with the “meatballs” from appetite for reduction made form tempeh and beans.

I’ve been reading a lot about “bean balls” this vegan MoFo. I’m defintely going to try them… the ones above are delicious, but since they’re made with Risotto rice, it makes for a lot of carbs once you factor-in the pasta…

2. Zoa says:

Oh, this all looks so good! I’d forgotten about that cashew sauce from Vegan Yum Yum–thanks for reminding me ;-) Best macaroni and cheeze, eh? I’ll have to try it (not that I am so very discriminating when it comes to those things; the thing I’ve just eaten usually seems to me to have been the best ever…)

Thanks Zoa! Those YumYum cashew sauces are so amazing, right? I love your other comment though – that anything you just ate is the best ever… I’m a bit like that too (especially if someone else made it for me!) Thanks for stopping by!

3. these look delicious – love the idea of the arborio in the mushroom balls – and love pasta – thought have stopped eating it with plain tomato sauce and now try it with dishes full of veg so it isn’t so carb heavy – though you have reminded me that I have some tofu nuggets in the fridge – wonder if that would go with pasta and tomato sauce like meat balls?

Thanks Johanna! Yes, I bet tofu nuggets would be great with pasta and tomato sauce… or even with a cheesy sauce… yum!

4. Have you tried Mama Pea’s Mac & Cheese recipe? That is my hands-down favorite – delicious! My non-veggie hubby asks for that one repeatedly. :)

Hi Heather, No, I haven’t heard of or tried that one but thanks so much for letting me know about it. Is this the one (http://peasandthankyou.com/2010/05/30/follow-the-leader/)? It uses Daiya, so I’ll have to wait until we’re back in Canada to try it – there’s no Daiya in Australia… yet!

5. Heather @ Better With Veggies says:

That’s it! I didn’t realize Daiya wasn’t in Australia yet, hopefully they’ll remedy that for you soon!

Yeah it’s pretty brutal. I had it for the first time last year in Canada and try to eat it whenever I’m home. We’ll be moving to Toronto in the Spring so I’ll be all over it, including that fab recipe. Thanks again for sharing it with me!

6. Savannah says:

What a delicious post. Pasta is one of my weaknesses also! I’m going to bookmark this page and drool over it again and again and even attempt the recipes! Thank you!
    Love Savannah xox

Thanks so much Savannah – Let me know what you try :)

7. preeti says:

I have to show my sister this post! She’s mad about pasta and will love it. The TOFU & SPINACH CANNELLONI is right up my street! I recently discovered Vegusto vegan cheese in London but haven’t had the chance to try it, hopefully I can try it out with your recipe.

Hi Preeti – I haven’t heard of Vegusto, is it good? I can’t wait to make the cannelloni with Daiya cheese once we’re back in Canada. It’s great as-is, but I bet it would be awesome with cheese on top. Let me know if you make it and what you think :)

8. I live for pasta! all those pictures are making me drool! thanks for sharing all your faves!

Hi Erika – Glad to meet another pasta-holic! Let me know if you try any of them :)

9. My hubby would be in paradise!!!! With all of that pasta!! I love it also but tend to binge on it and then feel bloated! All of it looks fabulous!

Thanks! I try to eat it in moderation as well because otherwise, I overload and feel pretty nasty too!

10. Fliksta says:

These all look amazing! Think I’m going to have to try all of them! =)

Let me know if you do!