While the summer doesn’t officially start here until December 1st, the weather has been absolutely amazing lately. Some of our friends have organized a BBQ in the park, and while they’re providing the salads, I thought that I’d bring a couple things as well. I’ll probably make some Quinoa Salad with Spicy Peanut Dressing or Spicy Black & White Bean Quinoa Salad, but I thought that it would be fun to try something new as well.
My mom used to make a variation of this when I was growing up, but she used green onions instead of red ones and didn’t use any cilantro (fresh coriander). I figured that I could get away with red onion since the cilantro adds all that beautiful green color. Feel-free modify this as needed – some shredded carrot would be lovely, as would a variety of beans instead of just chickpeas.
July 5, 2012 – A few readers started added avocado to this, and I think that’s a great addition so I’ve added an avocado as an optional ingredient in the recipe, below.
- 19oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 3 whole green onions, sliced OR ⅓ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro (fresh coriander)
- 1 avocado, diced (optional)
- 2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- In a bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, cumin, chili powder, and salt.
- Add chickpeas, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and toss until combined.
- If using avocado, add just before serving. Can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.