This is our first Christmas home after living abroad for the past 3 years and I thought it would be nice to make a few homemade gifts for family members that we’ll be spending time with over the holidays. Some Maple Spiced Pecans have been packaged up for the guys in our family, and I decided to make something special for the moms, mother-in-laws, sister-in-laws, and grandmas on our list.
I looked for sugar scrub recipes online but was worried about their shelf life, so I fell back on this trusty recipe from a couple years back. Bath salts have taken on a whole new meaning lately, but I promise that these will do nothing but induce relaxation and calm 🙂
I found these cute little jars at the dollar store, but upcycled jam and Mason jars with painted lids would be just as nice.
The addition of a high-quality essential oil is what makes these bath salts especially luxurious. I chose grapefruit oil because of its many benefits including:
- Its aroma – it’s refreshing, uplifting and energizing
- Its antiseptic properties – it’s disinfecting and detoxifying
- Its skin benefits – it’s been known to help with cellulite and stretch marks
- Do your research and choose a skin-appropriate essential oil.
- I avoid chemical-laden beauty products so I don’t add artificial coloring to my bath salts.
- Beware of naturally-derived dyes, as they could contain animal by-products such as cochineal.
- The recipe produces 6 cups of bath salts, enough to fill approximately 6 of these small jars.
- 3 cups Epsom Salt
- 2 cups sea salt
- 2 tbsp essential oil
- 1 cup baking soda
- In a medium bowl, mix Epsom salts and sea salts.
- Add essential oil and mix well to break-up any clumps that have formed.
- Add baking soda and mix well.
- Pour into *clean* glass jars.
Fun little gifts for the bath-loving people in your life 🙂