Vegangela Moves Down Under… Again!

Hi everyone! I hope you’ve had a good couple months – I know I have! I’ve been super busy with work and enjoying as much time as possible with family and friends. I’ve also been busy packing up my life in Toronto for my move back to Sydney, Australia!

You read that right. My fiance and I have moved back to Sydney! In case you don’t know the back story, here’s a quick rundown: Back in late 2008, my fiance and I were living happily in Ottawa, Canada. But when he was offered the chance of a lifetime of a posting in Sydney, Australia, we jumped on the opportunity. We quickly put almost everything we owned in storage, sold the house and embarked upon our new lives in Sydney. We had a blast in Australia and made fantastic friends there. In fact, what was supposed to be one year turned into three! Finally, last January, we shipped our stuff back to Canada and went backpacking through Asia for three months. We landed in Toronto in April 2012 and found a great loft right in the heart of downtown (while it was great for parties, our neighbors were probably very happy to see us go!) During the past 17 months in Canada, we’ve made amazing friends and got to spend quality time with our families. However, as much as we enjoyed our time in Toronto, something was missing. We heard ourselves constantly comparing things to Sydney, but we just couldn’t help it. So ultimately, after some serious soul-searching, we decided that Sydney is where we want to be after all.

Sydney Opera House

So, with a quick stopover in Taipei (more on that later), I landed in Sydney late last week – pretty emotional and very jet-lagged. I’m only just now decompressing after the madness of leaving a job of 10 years, selling-off and packing up a household of stuff, and saying those heart-wrenching goodbyes to family and friends. Moving back here is the hardest decision I’ve ever made – but I really think it’s the right one. My heart is still a little fragile, but I know that with time, this will begin to feel like home again. Having great friends here will certainly help that process :)

All that to say, my dear readers, is that I have a lot planned for this site for the near future. Although I haven’t been writing a lot lately, I’ve still been taking tons of notes and photos, so there’s lots to pull from. I’ve got some fun recipes to share, as well as some restaurant reviews of my time in Toronto and Asia. In particular, I’ll be sharing my adventures in setting-up yet another vegan kitchen from scratch. We’re currently living in a furnished apartment with a bare-bones kitchen and quite literally, empty cupboards. So if I can pull-off the recipes to come, then truly, anyone can!

Once again, I thank you for your kind comments and emails. I know that I’m months behind in getting back to some of you,  but I want you to know that I appreciate every kind word of encouragement and support that you send my way. This blog is just me, sharing my favorite food with the world. But the fact that it’s made such an impact on so many of your lives is truly what inspires me to keep working at it. You’ve asked for more fresh and tasty recipes that make it easy for you to transition to – or continue – eating a plant-based diet, and that’s exactly what I plan on sharing in the months ahead.

So on that note… let’s get cooking, mates!

1. Tricia says:

You’re awesome, amazing, and inspiring. Thanks for sharing! Good luck with settling back into life in Sydney! Thinking of you!! xo

Thank you SO much Tricia, it was so good to hear from you! Take care and hopefully see you again soon :)

2. Steven says:

Wishing you all best, you are the greatest!

Thank you Steven!

3. Bianca says:

I live in Sydney with my fiance too! Absolutely love it here. Newtown has the most amazing vegan food!! Can’t wait to see more of your recipes :)

4. Hey Angela, welcome back!! Wishing you all the best of luck with the move back to Oz! I can’t wait to read your input on Taipei – so excited that you mentioned my home city! Only 17 months in Canada – sorry to hear about the neighbors – hopefully you will have better and happier neighbors in Oz!

Best wishes,

Rika <3

Thank you so much Rika! I absolutely loved Taipei and wish I would have had more time there. Maybe next time I’ll have more time and we can plan ahead to be there at the same time?! That would be amazing! Our neighbors weren’t bad – WE were because we had so many loud parties… ha ha! Anyway, thanks again for stopping by and I owe you an email, so expect something from me in the coming weeks!

• Absolutely, do take your time! I know you are busy with the move and all. I just arrived in Buenos Aires two days ago…and it is going to be a busy week- finding groceries, food for the kitchen, work, etc. Ugh!

5. Welcome back to Oz – good luck with settling back in – sounds like your life has been quite a rollercoaster ride of late – but at least you know where you are going now and that you have chosen it – which is always a great start to a move! And there seem to be some great vegan places in Sydney as well as spoons

Thank you so much Johanna! Yes, it’s been a crazy ride and I’m looking forward to feeling a bit more settled :) I owe your blog a visit! Can’t wait to see what you’ve been up to. Thank you so much for stopping by and saying hello! x

6. Welcome back to Aus, Angela! This place is pretty irresistible!

Hi! You’re right – it really is! I’m off to visit your blog now to see what you’ve been up to! Thanks for stopping by and saying hi!

7. Lexie says:

Woo! Welcome back to the best city ever! Some weeks I still feel like Canada has me in it’s grasp and I miss it so much, weird stuff too. But I’m in Sydney for the forseeable future.

I know you lived here before so you have friends already, but I remember how hard it was moving to a different city and how hard it was to lay down real roots. So when things are a bit more settled for you we should totally get coffee or a drink or check out some vego restaurants!

Hi Lexie!

I was just looking through old posts, and realized that I never saw your comment come through. Thanks so much for reaching out! I would love to meet up at some point. I’ll send you an email right now!