Salt & Pepper Tofu
Author: Angela @ Vegangela.com
Recipe type: Main
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Ener-G Egg Replacer
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 lemon
- 1 pound silken extra firm tofu*, cut into triangles or small rectangles
- 1 red bell pepper (capsicum), cut into long strips
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the cornstarch, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- In another bowl, mix the vegan egg, water and juice of ½ the lemon.
- Dip the tofu in the vegan egg mixture and then into the cornstarch mixture. Set on a plate and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Saute the red bell pepper, white and green onions until cooked but still crunchy, a few minutes.
- While the veggies are cooking,heat 2 tbsp of oil over medium-high heat in another frying pan. Fry tofu until golden brown on both sides.
- Divide the veggies onto 2 plates, top with tofu and sprinkle generously with cilantro. Serve with lemon wedges.
It’s really important to use the right kind of tofu for this recipe. You want it to be “silken” and "extra-firm" (simply “firm” is too flimsy). It usually comes in a molded plastic container.
Recipe by Vegangela at http://vegangela.com/2010/09/29/vegweb-posted-my-salt-pepper-tofu-recipe/