Vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup
Author: Angela @ Vegangela.com
Recipe type: Soup
- 2 pounds green asparagus
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked in warm water for 1 hour (or ½ cup soy/almond milk)
- ¼ teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- Cut asparagus into ½-inch pieces.
- In a large pot, heat margarine over medium-low heat, and cook the onion for a few minutes, until softened.
- Add asparagus pieces and salt and pepper to taste, then cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Add broth and simmer, covered, until asparagus is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add cashews and purée soup using an immersion blender (or in batches in a blender) until smooth.
- Season with lemon juice, and salt and pepper.
MAKE-AHEAD: Soup keeps in the fridge for up to 2 days. To freeze, let soup cool completely before freezing it in an air-tight container. Slowly reheat soup on stove-top (or microwave) before serving.
Adapted from: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cream-of-Asparagus-Soup-Creme-dasperges-104746
Recipe by Vegangela at http://vegangela.com/2014/04/29/cream-of-asparagus-soup/