Roasted Butternut Squash, Lime & Coconut Soup
Recipe type: Soup
- 8 C /2 L (850g) butternut squash, diced (one average-sized butternut squash should be fine – I rarely measure this out)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 20 oz (600 ml) vegetable stock
- ¼ C cilantro, chopped and divided
- 2 tsp finely chopped jalapeño (optional)
- 10 oz (295 ml) coconut milk
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Garnish: vegan sour cream, additional coconut milk, roasted squash seeds (see instructions below)
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Toss squash with 1 tbsp olive oil. Spread squash onto cookie sheet and roast in the oven for 20 minutes until slightly browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium-heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil, cumin and coriander and stir frequently for about 3 minutes.
- Add onion and cook 5 minutes, until clear, then add broth.
- Remove peel from squash if not already done, then add to pot along with half the cilantro and the jalapeño, if using.
- Simmer gently for 20 minutes or until squash is soft. Stir in 1 cup of the coconut milk, as well as the lime juice.
- Using an immersion blender, carefully puree until smooth. Season with salt & pepper. Garnish with coconut milk or vegan sour cream, and remaining cilantro.
- Preheat oven to 325F (160C).
- Before the pulp has dried on the seeds, rinse them under cool water and discard the pulp.
- If desired, toss the seeds with a drizzle of oil and sprinkle of salt.
- Spread the seeds out in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast in oven for 20 minutes, tossing them around at the 10-minute mark.
Adapted from a recipe in the Ottawa Citizen newspaper. Makes 7 cups (1.75 L)
Recipe by Vegangela at http://vegangela.com/2011/05/10/roasted-butternut-squash-lime-and-coconut-soup/