Vegan Borscht (Beetroot Soup)
Author: Angela @ Vegangela.com
Recipe type: Soup
Cuisine: Eastern European
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 medium beets, skin peeled, and diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth (this makes a thick stew - use 6 cups if you want it really soupy)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tsp caraway seeds (optional)
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill
- 1 can cannellini beans (optional)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas (optional)
- vegan sour cream, for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the beets and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Add broth, cover the pot and simmer until the beets are tender, about 40 minutes.
- If using, stir in the beans and peas and cook another 5 minutes.
- Season with lemon juice, caraway seeds, salt, pepper and dill.
- If pureeing, let the soup cool a little bit before pureeing with regular or immersion blender.
- Serve soup garnished with sour cream and fresh dill. Can be served hot or cold.
Recipe by Vegangela at http://vegangela.com/2011/06/20/vegan-borscht-beetroo-soup/