Vegan Rhubarb Crumble / Crisp & Ginger Ice Cream
Recipe type: Dessert, Crisp, Crumble
- 1 lb (500 g) rhubarb (about 2 cups), cut into 2 inch (5cm) pieces
- ¼ cup raw sugar
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp grated orange rind
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (solidified)
- ½ cup oats
- ½ cup wholewheat (wholemeal) flour
- ½ cup raw sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil (solidified in fridge for 5 minutes) (or vegan margarine)
- 1 pint vegan vanilla ice cream (I used “So Good” brand)
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped candied ginger, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Combine rhubarb, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, grated orange rind and coconut oil in a bowl. Spoon mixture into 4 greased 1-cup (250 mL) dishes.
- Combine oats, flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in coconut oil until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Sprinkle generously over fruit.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until top is golden and juices are bubbling.
- Soften ice cream. Mix in candied ginger and refreeze until ready to serve.
Adapted from LCBO Magazine
Recipe by Vegangela at http://vegangela.com/2011/06/28/rhubarb-crumble-ginger-ice-cream/