Author: Angela @ Vegangela.com
Recipe type: Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small onions, diced
- 3.5 oz. shitake mushrooms, de-stemmed and sliced
- 16 oz. baby portobella mushrooms (or regular button mushrooms), sliced
- ¼ cup tamari (or soy sauce)
- 2 tsp dried dill
- 1½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup wholewheat flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups unsweetened plain almond milk (or soy milk)
- In a stockpot or large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat and cook onions until translucent.
- Add mushrooms and cook them down for about 5 minutes.
- Add tamari, dill, paprika, pepper and lemon juice.
- Once the mushrooms are quite cooked down and have released a substantial amount of liquid, stir in the flour to form a chunky mushroom paste.
- Immediately add the first cup of broth and bring the mixture up to a simmer.
- Add in the second cup of broth, and bring to a simmer once more.
- Follow the same procedure with the almond milk, adding one cup at a time, and bringing to a simmer (not a boil) each time.
- Once all five cups of liquid have been added, let the pot simmer (not boil) for 10-15 minutes.
- Turn off heat; let sit 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Optional: For a creamy soup, blend it using an immersion (stick) or regular blender (in batches).
Adapted from http://newyorkingreen.blogspot.com.au/2008/10/do-mushroom-fantastic-veganmofo-day-14.html, who adapted it from La Dolce Vegan cookbook (On Golden Pond Mushroom Soup, p.105)
Recipe by Vegangela at http://vegangela.com/2011/10/18/mushroom-soup/