Quick & Easy Chana Masala
Recipe type: Main, Entree
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp tomato paste or ketchup
- 15 oz can chickpeas, drained, reserving 3 tbsp liquid
- ½ lemon (about 1 tbsp), juiced
- ½ tsp salt
- fresh black pepper
- crushed red pepper (optional, to taste)
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- cilantro (fresh coriander) (optional)
- In a medium flying pan, heat oil on medium-high heat. Fry onions until slightly browned. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add garlic, curry, and tomato paste. Stir and simmer about 2 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, liquid, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper. Stir and simmer until chickpeas are softened, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in spinach, if using, and add crushed red pepper, to taste.
- Serve as-is, or over rice. May be topped with fresh cilantro or vegan sour cream / yogurt.
Serves 2 as-is, or 4 when served with rice.[br]Recipe adapted from Chana Masala recipe on VegWeb.com
Recipe by Vegangela at http://vegangela.com/2010/09/29/super-easy-chana-masala/