Easy Lemon Lentil Soup
Author: Angela @ Vegangela.com
Recipe type: Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- pinch hot red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1.5 cups dry red lentils
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups kale or spinach, chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley (or cilantro / coriander), finely chopped
- In a large saucepan or dutch oven, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onion, garlic and hot pepper flakes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add cumin, lentils, broth, salt & pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender and soup is beginning to thicken, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and kale/spinach (if using). Serve sprinkled with parsley/cilantro.
Adapted from: http://www.lentils.ca/recipes/lentil-lemon-soup
Recipe by Vegangela at http://vegangela.com/2013/06/06/easy-lemon-lentil-soup/