You’re probably sick of holiday sweets by now, but I made these elegant truffles over the holidays and wanted to share them with you. I actually found this recipe for Easy Decadent Truffles a few years ago and have veganized it with great success a few times now. You’ve got to get your hands messy to make truffles, and they’re a little time-consuming. However, they’re relatively easy to make and look & taste a lot fancier than the effort to make them.
WARNING: These are ridiculously rich and sweet. Most people wouldn’t eat more than 2-3 of them in one go, but they’ve always been a big hit whenever I’ve made them – including this past Christmas.
- 1 (8 ounce) package vegan cream cheese (Tofutti)
- 3 cups confectioner's (icing) sugar, sifted
- 3 cups semisweet vegan chocolate chips, melted
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Choice of toppings: chopped nuts, shaved coconut, etc (see notes for details).
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until well blended. Stir in melted chocolate and vanilla until no streaks remain. Refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Use a melon baller to scoop out a ball of chocolate and use your hands to shape it into a 1-inch ball. Continue until all chocolate is used-up and then roll in desired toppings.
- Place truffles in individual mini paper cups and refrigerate in an airtight container.
PS – I also found this recipe for Garlic Truffles, which I’ve bookmarked and plan on making at some point. I know that they sound kind of gross, but I’m intrigued and really want to try them!