My mom makes a killer Caesar salad and it was one my favorite dishes growing up. She left the anchovies out of it for me when I went vegetarian, but when I went vegan a couple years later, it was “bye bye Caesar salad” for me. Years later, I started playing with a few ingredients to perfect my vegan version. I think this comes pretty close in flavor to my mom’s original recipe – and my omnivoire fiancé even prefers it to the regular stuff.
- Instead of soy mayonnaise, feel free to use some silken tofu and a bit more lemon juice.
- Most crouton recipes call for stale bread, but I use fresh bread as I prefer softer croutons in my salads. This way they don’t irritate the roof of my mouth.
- I just use my hands to tear lettuce, but if you use a knife, be sure to use a porcelain or plastic one as metal blades will make the cut edges of the lettuce “rust” prematurely.
- For a super-duper healthy Ceasar salad, feel free to add/substitute spinach and/or kale. Yum!
- Sometimes, I’ll sauté some tempeh or tofu strips in a little bit of tamari sauce and add it to the salad to sort-of mimic a chicken Caesar salad.
- 1 head romaine lettuce (called “cos” lettuce in Australia)
- ¼ cup blanched almonds
- ¼ cup soy mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 French baguette (or other thick bread such as sourdough or Focaccia – use gluten free if that’s an issue for you)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350F/175C.
- Cut the bread into small cubes, about 3 cm thick.
- Toss bread cubes with the olive oil and garlic, and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake in oven for about 10 minutes, stirring them around about halfway and watching that they don’t burn. Set aside to cool.
- Wash and dry lettuce, and tear it into bite-sized pieces. Place into a large salad bowl.
- Blend all other ingredients in a blender until smooth. Add 2-3 tablespoons of water, as needed, to achieve desired consistency.
- Add dressing and croutons to salad bowl and mix to distribute dressing evenly.