Double Almond Chocolate Chip Cookies

I was going through old photos on my hard drive the other day and realized that I totally forgot to share this amazing chocolate chip cookie recipe with you!

Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies - These super-soft cookies are Vegan and Gluten-Free!

The cookies are thin and very soft, so they almost melt in your mouth. If you’ve ever had Keebler Soft Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies, then you know what I’m talking about!

The best part about these cookies is they they’re on the healthy side. They contain a ton of almonds, so they’re a great source of protein and vitamin E. And because they don’t contain any wheat, they’re 100% gluten-free!

Speaking of almonds, I like that these cookies use almond flour instead of a bunch of “fancy” gluten-free flours or mixes.Many grocery stores carry almond flour now, otherwise you should be able to buy it from your local health food store or from Amazon.You can even make it yourself using a food processor – just pulse some blanched almonds until you have a flour-like consistency.

My mom made these cookies for me when I was home for Christmas back in 2012 after seeing the recipe in her local newspaper. The recipe comes from the Almond Board of California and the recipe is also available on their website. They actually have a whole list of vegan recipes there that are worth a look through! Anyway, I loved the cookies so much that I asked her to scan a copy of the recipe for me (See how she marked them as “vegan”? She’s the best!):

Isn’t it such a great recipe? I love how simple it is and the fact it’s vegan (just make sure you use vegan chocolate chips).

Updates

March 1, 2014 – A reader inquired about the amount of cholesterol listed on the scanned recipe (see comments below). He’s right: 9g of cholesterol seems really off! I checked against the online recipe and there’s actually NO cholesterol in these cookies. Here’s the breakdown for each cookie:

Calories 132; Fat 12 g; Sat Fat 1.5 g; Mono Fat 5 g; Poly Fat 5 g; Protein 3 g; Carb 6 g; Fiber 2 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 76 mg; Calcium 33 mg; Potassium 100 mg; Vitamin E 4.5 mg;

July 13, 2014 – Feel free to use softened coconut oil instead grapeseed oil – I do that all the time!

1. I love random little recipes you sometimes find in newspapers, it’s a shame how too many of them pass me by just like that!

These cookies look wonderfully delicious and chewy though, mmmMMH!

• Agreed! I’ve found so many good recipes in the newspaper over the years… These cookies are really chewy – I ate a few at a time because I just couldn’t resist. Let me know if you try them :)

2. Chuck says:

The recipe looks fantastic, but I hope the 9 g of cholesterol is a typo. That might be enough to stop someone’s blood flow with a single cookie. I’m assuming the correct value is 9 mg.

• Yes, that’s a typo! Here’s the info as published on the original recipe’s website. Thanks for catching that, I’ll update the post now :)

3. Gareth says:

Anyone else unable to see the recipe? It says the image cannot be displayed because it contains errors

Aha, just noticed the link to the Almond Board website…. thanks!

4. Stella says:

I’ve just made them, they really taste lovely. But for me, it’ll be a dessert for special occasions only; here in the middle of nowhere (aka switzerland) almondflour is so expensive, I’ve payed around 18$ for 300g.*sigh*

• Oh no! Can you make your own? If have a good food processor, you can grind-up blanched almonds into flour. That might be a cheaper option for you?

• Stella says:

Oh, that’s a good idea, thanks. :-)

• Sara says:

Hey Stella
      I think that “gemahlene Mandeln” (ground almonds in German) should work just fine. They ‘re cheap and can be bought at any grocery store in Switzerland.

5. Francesca says:

Just made these! WOW! So easy, and so delicious! Definitely going to keep these in mind the next time I want to bake.

• Aren’t they the best? Thanks for taking the time to comment – glad you liked them!

6. Kyla says:

I have some Almond Flour in my pantry and I have not known what I should do with it… I’m gonna make this! I just have a question… do you think I could replace the grape-seed oil with olive oil, or some other type? I don’t have grape-seed on hand at the moment.

• Absolutely. I think I used canola oil last time, but coconut oil would be especially delicious. Olive oil may be too strong of a taste though… Good luck :)

7. Nikole says:

I really want to try these! But I was wondering if I could use just honey or even maple syrup (the boy’s of this house have a big love for maple) instead of the agave syrup?

• Either would work. Hope they’re a hit for your household!

8. Michelle says:

I’m wondering if anyone has omitted or substituted the agave nectar so that there is no added sweetener? I might try to make a batch with fruit puree instead.

• I haven’t, but please do let us know how it turns out. Mashed banana may work as well?

9. Michelle says:

Help! I was so excited to try these, but they turned out sooo thin and HUGE! The batter was so moist/liquefied that they started growing before I even put them in the oven. Any ideas??

• Oh no! Did you use grapeseed oil or coconut oil? You may need to refrigerate the batter before baking them next time?

What Others Are Saying About This