This one of my favorite vegan muffin recipes. The crumbly, sugary topping makes them taste like gooey caramel apples – minus the sticky fingers and face! I suppose you could leave out the topping to make these a bit healthier, but it really adds a great taste and texture to these muffins.
I like the fact that this recipe has the option of using a mix of whole wheat and white flour. You could try converting the whole mix to whole wheat flour, but they do have healthy oats in there and are already way more nutritious than any non-vegan store-bought variety anyway. I’ve got a few super healthy muffin recipes coming… but in the meantime, enjoy these tasty little guys.
- These freeze very well – Toss a frozen muffin in your lunch bag in the morning, and it will be ready to eat by lunchtime!
- Remember that with all muffin recipes – and especially those containing whole wheat flour – it’s important not to over-mix your batter. You really just want to fold it together a few times, and a few lumps here and there are OK. Over-mixing leads to dense/dry muffins – and no one wants that!
February 9, 2014 – I made these again recently and used all-purpose flour instead of a whole wheat mix. I also cut the oil by using a mix of oil and apple sauce. They were definitely fluffier because of the white flour, but really the whole wheat version taste just as good. I’ve updated the recipe as well as the photos since the old ones didn’t do these justice. Enjoy!
- 1 + ¾ cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour (or use 1 cup all-purpose flour + ¾ cup whole wheat flour)
- ¾ cup (175 mL) quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1-3/4 tsp (9 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- ¾ tsp (4 mL) baking soda
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- ¾ cup (175 mL) soy milk
- ¾ cup (175 mL) vegetabIe oil (or half oil, half applesauce)
- 1 vegan egg (such as Ener-G Egg Replacer)
- ⅔ cup (150 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and diced
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) chopped pecans
- ¼ cup (50 mL) whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegan margarine, melted
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- Topping: In bowl, stir sugar, pecans, flour, margarine and cinnamon; set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk all-purpose and whole wheat flours, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. In separate bowl, whisk soy milk, oil, vegan egg, sugar and vanilla; pour over dry ingredients. Sprinkle with apple; stir just to blend. (Don’t over-mix – that leads to dense muffins!)
- Fill paper-lined or greased muffin cups three-quarters full. Sprinkle with topping. Bake in centre of 375°F (190°C) oven for 25 minutes or until tops are firm to the touch. Let cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes. Remove to rack to let cool completely. (Make-ahead: Store in airtight container for up to 2 days or wrap individually in plastic wrap and freeze in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.)