Vegan MoFo #14 – Keeping with my tropical theme this week, here’s a recipe for mango gazpacho, or should I say MMMango gazpacho! It’s slightly adapted from AllRecipes.com. I leave-out the jalapeno pepper and reduce the onion and garlic because I find them to be to strong in the original recipe (and I love garlic and onion)!
Now I know that you folks in the Northern hemisphere are looking for warm soup recipes at the moment, but this is perfect for Sydney Australia right now, because we’re having a beautiful sunny weekend and the mangoes are ripe and in season.
- 2 cups mangoes, diced
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 cucumber, diced and seeds removed
- 1 red bell pepper (capsicum), diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 small garlic clove, diced
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp basil or cilantro (fresh coriander)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Process mangoes, orange juice and oil in a blender or food processor until pureed. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse gently until mixed but still a little bit chunky. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. (Can be made several hours before serving.)
I like to serve this soup in glass tumblers and this recipe will fill about 6 of them.
Another option is to serve the gazpacho in little shot glasses, as an amuse-bouche before dinner, or appetizer at a cocktail party or buffet.