Vegan MoFo #17 – Fruit crisps are some of my favorite desserts. They’re always so fresh and comforting, from apple, rhubarb, mango, peach, raspberry – or combinations thereof. This particular recipe was handed-down to me by my mom, and I’ve modified it by using wholewheat flour and raw sugar. I also decided to use macacamia nuts with the blueberries. There’s just something about blueberries, lemon, and vanilla that smells and tastes so divine. It’s the perfect combination of sweet and tart. I would wear it as a perfume if I could!
While the recipe below calls for blueberries, you can use any fruit that you have on hand and change the nuts to almonds (or omit them entirely). The recipe is pretty much the same no matter what fruit you use, except you would leave out the lemon zest for most fruits and modify accordingly otherwise. For example, for apple crisp, the filling is 6 peeled/sliced apples with 1/3 C raw sugar and 1 tbsp lemon juice, and you would add 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and 1/4 tsp of nutmeg to the topping. I’m sure I’ll have a separate apple crisp post in the future, but I in the meantime, I’m trying to convey how versatile this recipe is.
Also, being an ex-pat at the moment, I don’t have a well-stocked kitchen and therefore don’t own a 9×9 dish. So I half the recipe and it fills 1 tiny ramekin and 1 small ramekin quite nicely. Divided equally, they provide 2 generous portions.
Finally, I haven’t tried using coconut oil to replace the margarine, but I plan on doing so next time I make this…
Stay tuned! Update: May 5th 2011 – I successfully made an Apple Plumb Crumble / Crisp with coconut oil and it was delicious! The trick is to use the coconut oil in its hardened state, not when it’s liquified. Refrigerate the coconut oil until it firms-up to the consistency of margarine/shortening, about 5 minutes.
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (or 300g/10 oz frozen blueberries)
- ¼ cup raw sugar
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 tsp. water
- ⅔ cup wholewheat (wholemeal) flour
- ⅔ cup oats
- ½ cup raw sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup coconut oil (or vegan margarine)
- ¼ cup macadamia nuts (or almonds) roughly chopped
- If using coconut oil and it is liquified, refrigerate it for about 5 minutes until it is the consistency of margarine / shortening.
- Mix all ingredients for the filling and distribute evenly in a 9×9 inch (1.5L) dish or amongst small ramekins.
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Mix flour, oats, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl. Using a pastry cutter or fork, add coconut oil or margarine and mix well.
- Spread crumb mixture over fruit filling and bake for about 30 minutes, but watch it to make sure the top doesn’t burn.