Last-Minute Vegan Cheesecake

The holidays are so crazy, aren’t they? From wrapping-up work projects for the end of the calendar year, to finalizing gift shopping and decorating the house, there is often little time to do anything else. Even though I had plenty of notice for a holiday get together with friends a couple weeks ago, I left my dessert contribution to the last minute and was scrambling to make something delicious and festive-looking. A walk through the fruit ailse of my grocery store  inspired me to go with a strawberry and kiwifruit decorated cheesecake.

Easy Vegan Cheesecake

Now I’ve made raw vegan cheesecake many times. It’s totally amazing and I highly recommend making it when you get the chance. However, as easy as it is to put together, I didn’t have the time for all the soaking and freezing involved. I was also running low on coconut oil and cashews. So instead, I decided to leverage a few grocery store staples and make a quick yet decadent traditional-style cheesecake.

What you’ll need and how to make it

A Keebler Graham Ready Crust – they’re vegan and available at most grocery stores.

Keebler Graham Ready  Crust

2 packages of Tofutti cream cheese, a lemon, some sugar, vanilla extract, and salt.

(Yes, Redpath sugar is vegan!)

Quick & Easy Vegan Cheesecake

Then juice and zest half the lemon…

Quick & Easy Vegan Cheesecake

Blend everything together…

Quick & Easy Vegan Cheesecake

And pour it into the graham crust.

Quick & Easy Vegan Cheesecake

Bake it for 30 minutes, refrigerate it for an hour, and then top it with fresh fruit.

Quick & Easy Vegan Cheesecake

Unfortunately, I forgot to take any photos of the cheesecake when it got sliced-up and served at the party. But the feedback was excellent and like most good vegan desserts, no one could “tell” it was vegan. So there you have it – an easy holiday dessert that will please everyone at the table. Enjoy!

Update

July 11, 2013Tofutti linked this recipe on their website today. I’m so stoked!

recipe featured on
Featured on Tofutti.com

4.5 from 11 reviews

Quick & Easy Vegan Cheesecake

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

This delicious cheesecake will be loved by vegans and non-vegans alike. And it’s so easy to make, the hardest part with be sharing it with others!
Author:
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 8
Ingredients
  • 1 Keebler Graham Ready Crust
  • 2 8oz containers of tofutti cream cheese
  • 1 lemon
  • ½ cup sugar
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
  • Topping of choice (fresh fruit, fruit sauce, chocolate sauce, etc)
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. From the lemon, prepare 1 tbsp of fresh juice and 1 tsp of lemon zest.
  3. Add them to a mixing bowl, along with the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and salt. Blend well.
  4. Pour into the graham crust, bake for 30 minutes, and then chill in the fridge for an hour.
  5. Decorate with fresh fruit, a fruit sauce, or chocolate sauce.

1. Allysia says:

Yup, I almost always use store-bought crusts…they tend to de-intimidate pie/cake making. And I love Tofutti-based cheesecakes, they taste really authentic. I’ve served them to many a non-vegan and the reception is always super positive.

Totally. I love the raw cheesecakes, but this is just too easy. Thanks for stopping by :)

2. Christina says:

Do you know if I can add chopped strawberries to the base to make it a strawberry cheesecake? Or would you recommend leaving the strawberries as topping?

You could try blending in some strawberries. I wouldn’t personally leave them as chopped chunks, I’d blend them in for a beautiful color. Raspberries would be equally nice. Let me know how it turns out!

3. Stephanie says:

This isn’t vegan if it has cream cheese…

Use vegan cream cheese, such as Tofutti.

• Kc says:

Is the “cheese” firm?

Yes. Well, as firm as a “regular” cheesecake…

4. kaycee says:

can i use philidelphia cream cheese instead of tofutti?
    will it tastes the same?
    btw, how much is tofutti cream cheese?

I don’t know why you’d want to make a lovely vegan cheesecake non-vegan by using Philly… but I guess it would work. An 8 oz tub should be between $4-$5.

5. Kc says:

What if I use switch tofutti cream cheese to Philadelphia cream cheese?

• Sarah says:

Then it isn’t vegan. Real cream cheese is toxic.

yup!

• Andria says:

Just wanted to point out- Tofutti has a lot of transfats, which are completely unnecessary and as bad (or worse) for you than dairy cream cheese.

Daiya now has a cream cheese that is vegan and has zero transfats, I’d recommend switching to that.

Good point. I barely ever use Tofutti, just for special occasions like Christmas. I’ll keep an eye out for the Daiya version, thanks for the heads up!

6. Becka says:

MADE THIS LAST NIGHT, LOVED IT! Thanks for the recipe (:

Thanks for trying it and letting me know that you liked it. I’m glad!

7. Elledee says:

Hey this looks amazing! Thank you so much for sharing!! I am going to make it for my friend’s birthday! What would you recommend if I am trying to make it a chocolate flavour?

Hmm… I would blend in 50g of melted chocolate and use a chocolate crust. Oreo cookie wafers are typically vegan. Oh, and leave out the lemon. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

8. Elledee says:

Oh my goodness…Thank you so much for responding so quickly! It is greatly appreciated! I made my own oreo crust using oreo crumbs and earth balance spread in a slightly smaller pan and added 50g of chocolate (while omitting the lemon) and it looks fabulous! I had to leave it in the oven for about 35 mins for the centre to set. We aren’t eating it until tomorrow but I will let you know how it tastes :) Again…thank you so much!! You are amazing!!

Ooooo I’m so excited right now! I hope it’s chocolately enough. Send me a photo if you can. Thanks!

9. Julia says:

The batter tasted so amazing before cooking…but I didn’t use Tofutti brand and I think that made my cheesecake a failure. I used Galaxy cream cheese & compared ingredients. It contains soy protein, but no actual tofu! I guess I’ll have to do better next time!

Oh no! You really should use Tofutti next time. I’ve never heard of the Galaxy brand. Sorry it didn’t turn out for you :(

10. Jennifer says:

This is such a great recipe! I made this for my mother’s 63 birthday party and it was a hit. The non-vegans really loved the lemon flavor. Thanks for sharing.

I’m honored that you chose to serve my cheesecake for your mom’s birthday and I’m glad to hear that it went over well. Thanks so much for taking the time to let me know :)

11. Ladyflor says:

So I am trying to become a vegetarian but leaning more on the vegan side. It’s not so easy especially when it comes to dessert. I love dessert to me it’s happy moments especially when it taste good. So I will try this dessert I hope it comes out well. If I master it I will definitely make it for church and work. So you have other rescipes let me know.

12. Dave says:

What a great recipe .. I love tofutti!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news , but this recipe is NOT vegan.

White sugar is made with bone char .. http://www.peta.org/about/faq/Are-animal-ingredients-included-in-white-sugar.aspx

You could replace the white sugar with turbinado, and that would alleviate some of the issue…

We’ll be trying your recipe at home this weekend!

• Dave says:

oops sorry, my apologies … further research shows REDPATH doesn’t use bone char

• tandalaya says:

plz check out another crust..this one has sugar..palm oil which I’m sure is not obtained sustainably …thanks…

Thanks for your comment. I almost always make my own crusts, but thought this was a nice option for folks who are in a hurry. I’ll try to seek-out a healthier version of the crust that is also widely available. Let me know if you’re aware of one?

• tandalaya says:

I was in my local health food store the other day and found on the shelf “arrowhead mills” crumb crust..totally suitable!…thanks for all your recipes!..

Hey that’s awesome, thanks for sharing. I’ll keep an eye out for it!

13. Emergency bday cheesecake says:

My other half went to get his birthday cheesecake and found that they weren’t available anymore. I want to make one to save the day, but our oven is broken. Is it necessary or would it be ok without any cooking? Thanks for your help!

14. Nicole says:

Is the baking only required because of the base? Or does the filling need cooking too? I am planning on making a gluten free almond meal base
    Also can this store in the freezer? Or how long in the fridge?

The baking is needed to firm-up the filling. I would say it will last up to a week in the fridge (if it lasts that long)!

15. Asia says:

So yummy! But you have to replace the white granulated sugar with organic sugar, because its not vegan

RedPath sugar is vegan – just Google it.

16. Asia says:

I instantly regret that post! Sorry for doubting you ! I’ve used a few of your recipes and they have all turned out great! Thank you :)

17. Girija says:

Hi Angela I like the way you add the ingredients in their packaging. This helps in searching for them while shopping and in some specialty stores I can ask the shop operator and get the same stuff or suggestions for similar stuff. I like your blog.yet to start the recipes. Been collecting the ingredients first. In my small town it is impossible to get vegetarian stuff let alone vegan! Pl keep up your inspiring blogs.

Thanks for the kind words, and I’m glad to hear that my photos make the ingredient-hunt a little bit easier. I hadn’t thought of that, but I will keep doing it since it’s so helpful. Let me know what recipes you try and your feedback on them. Take care!

18. Lili says:

This cake sounds and look good, I LOVE fruit, specially fresh.
    thanks a lot for sharing!!

You’re welcome, let me know if you make it!

19. Leslie says:

My youngest daughter is allergic to milk and eggs and this recipe was a Godsend when I came across it. Anna was so excited to be able to have this cheesecake, which I think is by far better than dairy cheesecake. Once it is chilled and then pulled out to eat, it vanishes! Thank you for posting this fabulous recipe!

Hi Leslie – Your comment just made my day. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment :)

20. the-bails says:

will the cheesecake still be runny when you pull it from the oven?

No, it shouldn’t be…

21. tditty says:

Hi, have you tried adding some mini chocolate chips to this, and would it turn out ok you think? vegan chips of course!!

I have not, but I don’t see why not?

22. Vanessa says:

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe my boyfriends love loves cakes and pies but I HATE baking but this was so simple and quick and it actually tasted good.
    Although the texture was a little off maybe because I didn’t use egg replacer !!! But u didnt see you have that as an ingredient

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I’m glad you liked this easy recipe – it’s a great one to make in a pinch! Sorry to hear that the texture was off. I didn’t use egg replacer for it, so it’s not missing from my ingredients list. Was the filling runny? Did you cook it long enough?

23. Heidi Waukechon says:

I made this last night. It was fast, easy & yummy! Thanks!

I’m so glad to hear that! Thanks for commenting :)

24. BEE says:

I am trying out being vegan for awhile, and I love, love LOVE cheesecake, I came across your recipe and it sounds fantastic. I am trying it out for my wonderful boyfriend and, his family on the weekend (they are Italian) they are kind of a tough crowd but, I will keep you posted. Thank you.

How did it go? I’m dying to know… :)

• BEE says:

OOPs lol, they loved it, they couldn’t really tell they thought it was lighter, went over really well. They actually want the recipe, thanks to much, awesome job!! :)

Sorry for the late reply! I’m glad to hear that it was such a hit. Yay! Thanks for taking the time to let me know :)

25. BEE says:

Do I let it cool down first than put it in the fridge for an hour? Wouldn’t it be way to hot to put in the fridge right out of the oven.?

Sure, feel free to let it cool down a little bit… that’s a good suggestion :)

26. tarhata says:

what’s the nutrional content if serving 8?

27. Cynthia says:

Love your website. It has helped make the last year of being vegan interesting. Tried this cheesecake and it came out lumpy. Smoothed out a little in the oven. I’m thinking it was because one container of the Tofutti cream cheese had a weird consistency. Any tips on getting something smoother if I have a lumpy container of cream cheese? Also could you use Agave instead of the granulated sugar?

Hi Cynthia – It could be that your Tofutti had been frozen and defrosted. I’ve come across containers like that from time to time. Next time, I would seek-out a better container of it, or try to re-blend it in a high-speed blender. Sorry to hear that your cheesecake was lumpy. I hope it still tasted good? Due to the amount of sugar being used, I wouldn’t substitute with agave. You might want to try some Stevia instead?

• Cynthia says:

Thanks for the pointer. Even lumpy it was delicious. We are trying again tonight and used your blender tip. Worked like a charm. This is my new favorite recipe.

Oh I’m so happy to hear that it worked out! Thanks for taking a second chance on it :)

28. Maddy says:

I have a tub of toffuti and one of Daiya, will that work?

I’ve never used the Daiya cream cheese so I can’t say for sure… but I’m thinking it will be fine? If you go ahead and make it, can you report back so we all know? That would be awesome :) Good luck!

29. Toney says:

This looks so delicious! I am just getting into this non-meat eating adventure and still want to eat sweets! Have you any recipes for induction cooking?

Congrats and good luck on your transition to a healthier and more compassionate lifestyle :)

Are you referring to induction cooktop stoves? My recipes will work with those, as I’ve used that type of stove off and off over the past few years. Let me know if you’re referring to something else entirely though!

30. Stephanie says:

Hi- I remember someone in my family used to make little cheesecake tarts (in cupcake tins.) If i wanted to use this recipe in that way, how long do you think i would have to bake them for? I would imagine i would have to cut down the baking time. Does the filling firm up when it’s ready or after it’s cooled?

Thanks a bunch!

I think 20 minutes would do it? The mixture firms-up in the fridge. Good luck!

31. This came out fantastic!!! I am working on my holiday recipes this month on my blog and as soon as I saw this one I knew I needed to try it- and I am sooooo glad I did!! Thank you for an awesome recipe! I blogged about it today!!

Thanks so much for sharing the recipe on your blog. I love your pumpkin cheesecake adaptation! Will definitely be making that next year! Thanks so much :)

32. Oh, wow! This looks extremely yum yum!

Thanks! Let me know if you try it :)

• Asha says:

I just made this to take to my mom’s for Thanksgiving tomorrow… it almost looks as yummy as yours! Thank you for sharing. Can’t wait to cut into it tomorrow. :-) Love your blog!!

Yay! I’m so honored that my humble little recipe will be featured at your family’s Thanksgiving celebrations. I hope everyone likes it. Thanks for taking the time to write!

33. Darlene says:

My husband is vegan, while I am not. I’m always looking for recipes with easy to find ingredients. We have a group for dinner that includes everyone, vegan to carnivore. Looking forward to serving this! Thanks!

Oh I’m so honored! If you have the time, let me know how it goes over with everyone :)

• Darlene says:

It was devoured! Everyone loved it and someone asked for the recipe. She said she wanted to make it for Christmas and wasn’t going to tell her meat-eating family it was vegan! Thanks so much….I will keep checking your website for more recipes and substitutions.

Yay, I’m so glad to hear it!

34. hana says:

I think its also important to note that as well as being great for the animals, veganism is also the healthiest way for us humans to live. However, this recipe is far from healthy. Don’t get me wrong, we all crave junk from time to time. But as vegans we strive to do so in a healthier way and this just isn’t it. The granulated sugar BTW isn’t vegan. Its processed in charred animal bones and thus causes contamination. The pie crust usually has honey in it, which also isn’t vegan.

This is a “treat food” – not something anyone would be eating everyday. And if you read the blog post, you’ll learn that the sugar is from RedPath and vegan, and that the crust is also vegan.

35. Jodie says:

This was delicious! I’m a vegan, my twin sister is not, and it happens to be our birthday. Cheesecake is her favorite desert so I made this recipe so we’d both win! I loved it, but it was quite lemon-y. I actually only put 1tsp of lemon juice instead of 1 tbsp so I was a little surprised. It tasted more like a key lime pie than cheesecake. No complaints because I love key lime pie, I just wish I could have given her a “cheesecake”. Thanks for the recipe!

Hi Jodie! Thanks for taking the time to comment. I’m glad you girls liked the cheesecake – sorry that it seemed too lemony for you. I’ll have to make it again soon and update the recipe if I feel the lemon taste is too strong :)

36. Christina says:

The first recipe I tried (as my daughter and I are doing 30 days vegan). I LOVE key lime pie so switched out the lemon for lime and it was AMAZING!! So easy and simple :) Thanks for sharing all your great recipes!

Oh that’s a great substitution! Must try that, thank you for taking the time to share it! And good luck on your vegan adventure :)

37. Katie says:

At my family holiday party last month I made this recipe with a homemade gluten free graham cracker crust, and then bought a pre-made pumkin pie for the non-vegans. This cheesecake was absolutely devoured! I am SO excited to make this again. (The store-bought pumkin pie was barely touched next to this one :)

• That’s so great to hear! Yay for vegan cheesecake. Thanks for sharing!

38. Deborrah says:

Girlfriend! This recipe is thebomb.com. I made it tonight and it came out so tasty, I was surprised. I used Meyer lemons so it was a light tart taste, then I topped it with sugar dusted fresh strawberries. Yum. Even the non-vegans in the house tore it up. Alas, my little cheesecake is but a memory.

• Yay! Glad to hear it was such a hit and sorry it went so fast. Thanks for writing :)

What Others Are Saying About This