Happy spring, everyone! Can you believe that winter is already over? I mean, it may not seem like it out there, but before we know it, it will be July. Time flies!
What better way to celebrate the end of winter than with a bright and fresh salad? To be perfectly honest, I actually made this recipe a couple months ago, but found the photos on my phone this week and decided that it was about time I blog about it. The recipe comes from Bon Appetit magazine, but I promise that I’ll have an original recipe to share with you all next week!
- You should be able to find black rice at the grocery store or good health food store. Here in Toronto, I found it at Bulk Barn.
- While I love this salad, I find that the original recipe yields too much for our household of two. I’ve therefore halved the recipe, below.
- The original recipe was vegan except for the fish sauce. I left it out completely, but if you’re up for it, you can make some vegan fish sauce. I bet it adds great complexity, but I don’t think it’s necessary.
- I doubled the peanuts because I really love their crunch in this salad!
- I used crushed red pepper flakes instead of jalapeno, and served some on the side, along with extra peanuts.
- When I make this again, I’ll probably increase the protein by serving it with some grilled tofu, or just adding some fried tofu cubes into the salad itself.
- 1 orange
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tablespoon vegan fish sauce (optional)
- 1 cup black rice
- 1 just-ripe mango, peeled, pitted, cut into ½-inch dice
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion (about ¼ large onion)
- ½ cup unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- crushed red pepper flakes
- Remove peel and white pith from orange. Working over a medium bowl to catch juices and using a small sharp knife, cut between membranes to release orange segments into bowl. Squeeze membranes over bowl to release any juices. Strain juices through a fine-mesh sieve into a small bowl; reserve orange segments.
- Add lime juice, oil, and vegan fish sauce (if using) to bowl with orange juice; whisk to blend. Set dressing aside.
- Bring rice and 1¼ cups + 2 tbsp water to a boil in a large saucepan. Season lightly with salt. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 25 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let stand, covered, for 15 minutes. Spread out rice on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with dressing, and season lightly with salt; let cool.
- Place mango and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add rice and toss gently to combine. Season lightly with salt and more lime juice, if desired.