Back in December, I enjoyed a lovely salad of fried cauliflower, chickpeas and silverbeet at Bodega Tapas Bar here in Sydney. It was hardy yet light with highlights of fresh lemon and toasted cumin seeds. As you can tell, I was making a mental note of the ingredients and flavors because I figured that it would be simple enough to replicate at home. My version appears below and it’s very yummy – if I do say so myself – and pretty close to the original.
- You could certainly add onion and garlic to this, but I found it great as-is
- You could substitute kale, spinach, or other leafy greens for the swiss chard (silverbeet)
- This is a great lunch salad, but it would also be a great side dish, appetizer/starter, or as part of a larger tapas menu
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups swiss chard (silverbeet) leaves
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp cumin seeds (or ground cumin)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Add cauliflower and fry until softened and golden-brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and cumin seeds, and fry for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add swiss chard and lemon juice, and fry until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt & pepper, and drizzle with additional olive oil (if desired).