Quick & Easy Tofu Sandwich

I started making this sandwich back in high school, and although I don’t consider it a real “recipe”, it’s something that I make from time to time when I’m craving a sandwich or I’m in need of a quick meal. It can be easily customized to your personal sandwich preferences and/or whatever you have on hand at the moment.

Quick & Easy Tofu Sandwich - Vegan & Gluten-Free

Notes

• You could also top this with vegan “bacon” to make a sort of BLT… I’m working on a “real” recipe for that so stay tuned…
  • I submitted this recipe to the authors of  the The Garden of Vegan: How It All Vegan Again! cookbook years ago, so if you own a copy of it, look for this recipe in it. I’m the “Angela from Ottawa” :)

Quick & Easy Tofu Sandwich - Vegan & Gluten-FreeQuick & Easy Tofu Sandwich - Vegan & Gluten-Free

Quick & Easy Tofu Sandwich

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Recipe type: Main, Sandwich
Serves: 1
Ingredients
  • 2 slices of tofu
  • Sprouts or lettuce or baby spinach
  • 2 tomato slices
  • 2 avocado slices (optional)
  • 2 slices vegan bread (gluten-free, as required)
  • vegan mayonnaise
  • vegan margarine (optional)
  • vegetable oil
  • salt and pepper
Instructions
  1. Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Cook the tofu on both sides until browned.
  2. Season tofu with salt and pepper.
  3. Assemble sandwich using bread, margarine, mayonnaise, tofu, and veggies.

Quick & Easy Tofu Sandwich - Vegan & Gluten-Free

1. Emily says:

I have not been very good at being adventurous with tofu since I’m not very experienced at cooking with it. Perhaps this could be a good way for me to ease into it!

-Emily

For sure, I think it would be a great way to ease into it. Not a big time-commitment and you’ll barely taste the tofu once you pile-on all your favorite sandwich toppings. Let me know how it goes! :)

2. Keely says:

Another easy and adaptable recipe that is delicious! Added whole grain mustard to mine for a bit of kick. Yum!

Hi Keely – Thanks for your comment. Yes, I forgot to mention mustard… I put Dijon mustard on there from time to time too :)

3. Ellie says:

If I had a ripe avocado on hand, I’d be making this for lunch today! Do you press the tofu prior to cooking or do you just give it a gentle squeeze after removing the packaging?

I’m very, very tempted to walk down to the Grower’s Market and get some supplies! :-) I’m hoping to cook your Fried Cauliflower, Chickpea and Swiss Chard salad this evening. *fingers crossed*

Hi Ellie – The avocado isn’t necessary… tomato, lettuce and tofu is pretty awesome itself, so don’t let that stop you! I just give it a quick shake for excess liquid… Let me know if you make it and what you think of the fried cauliflower dish ;)

4. Tricia says:

Hey Ange! You totally inspired my lunch with this one today (and I do have the book, so cool to know that you’re the “Angela from Ottawa!”)
    I fried the tofu in canola with braggs and a touch of sesame oil. I sprinkled it with salt, pepper, Mrs. Dash, and nutritional yeast. Then I sandwiched it on toast with vegan mayo (home made), jalepeno mustard, cucumber, onion, tomato, and avocado. It was delicious and messy, just the way I love my sandwiches. Thanks for the inspiration!
    xx
    T

Hi Tricia! Yum, your version sounds delicious. I’ve never put nutritional yeast on tofu in a sandwich but it sounds like it’s the thing to do so I will definitely try it next time. I put it on pretty much everything else already so why not?!

I’m so glad that I was able to inspire your lunch and thanks for taking the time to write. I always loved all the food you made for the “crew” and would love for us all to be together again one day in the same continent/country/province/city! Miss you! xx

5. stephani says:

I can’t wait to try the quinoa stuffed butternut squash! I love using quinoa any way I can so this is a great sounding recipe as I am searching for lower carb vegan gluten free meals. So glad I found you!

Thank you! Let me know if you try it – it’s easy and so nutritious :)

6. jon says:

i gotta try this, i don’t think i have ever tried tofu but apparently it is a good meat substitute in a sandwich

Hi Jon – Yes, you’re right. It’s really great seasoned and added to a sandwich with all your favorite toppings. Let me know what you think of it!

7. Hannah says:

Yummy! Just whipped up a batch for my lunch this week. I used peanut and sesame oil, low-sodium teriyaki sauce, and low-sodium tamarind sauce, and ground black pepper. Yum! My calorie counter clocked the tofu in at under 260 calories a serving. Combined with veggies and some whole wheat bread, it will make a great sandwich. Thanks!

Those are great additions to the tofu. Yum! Thanks for sharing them and I hope you enjoy your sandwiches! :)

8. Tracey says: