This is a fun post, and rather different from my usual posts filled with salads and healthy mains…
I haven’t posted many breakfast recipes over the years. That’s because my normal breakfasts consists of one or some of the following:
- protein shake
- toast or rice cake with almond/peanut butter
- tofu breakfast scramble
Nothing too exciting or that hasn’t been blogged about a thousand times before. But then one day, I thought of making something a bit fun, and while it’s not as healthy as my usual fare, it’s way healthier than the McDonald’s version!
To make this veganized Egg McMuffin, I used these awesome Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Whole Grain English Muffins (in Ontario, they’re available at Loblaws in the health-food freezer section)…
To make the vegan “egg”, I sliced off 1/3 of a block of firm tofu…
… and used a food plating ring to cut-out a disk (you could also place a drinking glass onto the tofu and carefully cut around it with a knife).
I then coated the “egg” with a bit of turmeric powder to give it a light yellow hue, and seasoned it with garlic powder and freshly cracked black pepper, before frying it up alongside the vegan Canadian bacon.
- Turmeric has been shown to actually outperform many pharmaceuticals in its effects against several chronic diseases such as Alzheimer’s, Arthitis and Cancer. Bonus!
- Feel-free to “go all vegan on this” and add some vegan mayo, avocado slices and sliced tomato to it. That would be downright amazing!
- Slice ⅓ of the tofu horizontally so that it is about X thick. Either cut it into a square, or use a metal food ring mold or knife to cut it into a disk. This is your “egg”.
- Sprinkle turmeric powder onto the “egg” and gently coat all surfaces so that they are a light yellow color. Season with garlic powder and black pepper.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a frying pan and cook the “egg” and Canadian bacon, so that they are browned on both sides.
- Meanwhile, toast the English muffin and butter with vegan margarine.
- Assemble the sandwich using the cheese, “egg” and vegan bacon.