Vegan Egg McMuffins

This is a fun post, and rather different from my usual posts filled with salads and healthy mains…

Vegan Egg McMuffins

I haven’t posted many breakfast recipes over the years. That’s because my normal breakfasts consists of one or some of the following:

Nothing too exciting or that hasn’t been blogged about a thousand times before. But then one day, I thought of making something a bit fun, and while it’s not as healthy as my usual fare, it’s way healthier than the McDonald’s version!

Vegan Egg McMuffins

To make this veganized Egg McMuffin, I used these awesome Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Whole Grain English Muffins (in Ontario, they’re available at Loblaws in the health-food freezer section)…

Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Whole Grain English Muffins

… as well as some Daiya Cheddar Style Slices and Yves Canadian Veggie Bacon.

Yves Meatless Canadian Bacon

To make the vegan “egg”, I sliced off 1/3 of a block of firm tofu…

Vegan Egg McMuffins

… and used a food plating ring to cut-out a disk (you could also place a drinking glass onto the tofu and carefully cut around it with a knife).

Vegan Egg McMuffins

I then coated the “egg” with a bit of turmeric powder to give it a light yellow hue, and seasoned it with garlic powder and freshly cracked black pepper, before frying  it up alongside the vegan Canadian bacon.

Vegan Egg McMuffins Vegan Egg McMuffins

Notes

4.7 from 6 reviews

Vegan Egg McMuffins

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Just because you’re vegan, doesn’t mean you can’t indulge in the (in)famous “breakfast sandwich”! Vegan / Nut-Free
Author:
Recipe type: Breakfast, Sandwich
Cuisine: American
Serves: 1
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Slice ⅓ of the tofu horizontally so that it is about X thick. Either cut it into a square, or use a metal food ring mold or knife to cut it into a disk. This is your “egg”.
  2. Sprinkle turmeric powder onto the “egg” and gently coat all surfaces so that they are a light yellow color. Season with garlic powder and black pepper.
  3. Heat 1 tsp oil in a frying pan and cook the “egg” and Canadian bacon, so that they are browned on both sides.
  4. Meanwhile, toast the English muffin and butter with vegan margarine.
  5. Assemble the sandwich using the cheese, “egg” and vegan bacon.

Vegan Egg McMuffins

1. Suzanne says:

That is one authentic looking tofu-egg! Nicely done :)

Thanks! And thanks for stopping by :)

2. Yes ma’am, these are gonna go in my stomach very soon tomorrow morning! Thanks for bringing back one of my childhood favorites and veganized! Do you like the Daiya cheddar slices? I love their slices so far!

Hi Rika! You’re so welcome, I’m glad you’re going to try the recipe. I wasn’t sure about the Daiya cheese slices at first, but they’re really good in this recipe!

3. Kylie says:

Wow – these look incredible!! I may be drooling a little over here.

Ha! Thank you :)

4. Carole says:

Hi Angela, just popped over to let you know that your link to Food on Friday: Mexican Food was featured in my Need Some Inspiration? Series today. Hope you are having a good week.

5. Brittany says:

I can’t wait to try this! Going to the store today to get the turmeric, “canadian bacon” and English Muffins. I have a feeling my hubby and 2 year old will be excited about this too! Thank you!

Awesome! Please let me know what they think of it :)

6. Wow! That looks amazing! I’m going to try making one this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

7. Beatrice says:

Looks delicious!! You could also add a little Indian black salt (Kala Namak) to get a really strong egg flavor. That stuff is fantastic! Thanks for the recipe!! :)

Yes, I’ve heard of using that for things like tofu “egg” salad sandwiches. Great suggestion – thanks for stopping by :)

8. preeti says:

Hi Angela,

So it’s mid morning in the UK and my how I would love one of these right now! I cannot wait to try this, I’m going to look for the ingredients after work tonight and it’s Hello Vegan McMuffins tomorrow morning!

Hi Preeti – Sorry for the delayed response on this! Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope you enjoyed your vegan McMuffin :)

9. Loved the note you put in there about turmeric! Definitely made a mental note to include more of that in my diet. I’m always blown away by all of the beneficial properties of herbs and spices!

Thanks! I love it so much – it adds such lovely color, and it’s so good for you. Win-win! :)

10. Katarina says:

this was so delicious!!!! i think ill add two slices of canadian “bacon” next time, i couldn’t taste it that much with the tofu and everything else.

11. Katarina says:

12. BYOL says:

I would leave the “ham” off it but this is a phenomenal idea….

13. Bob says:

Thank you so much, this was amazing. I couldn’t find the “bacon”, so I used “Gimme Lean Sausage” wonderful breakfast treat.

All Good Wishes

Bob

Sounds yummy! Glad you liked it, thanks for sharing!

14. Mike says:

This looks amazing but I’m out in China and find it hella difficult to get vegan bacon/cheese etc… But I did make your vegan quinoa chilli- best chilli EVER!!

15. Marianna says:

YUMMM!!! Eating this right now with Daiya cheddar slices. Totally hitting the spot!! Thank you!

You’re so welcome – I’m so glad you liked the recipe. Thanks for taking the time to comment :)

16. colleen says:

this looks great, cant wait to try it out buttt ive read that tofu and other certain soy based products can be harmful and really unhealthy. Whats your take on that?? =/

I try to buy organic/non-GMO soy and I only consume it as soy beans / soy milk / tofu or tempeh. So I consume it as a relatively whole food, not as a by-product such as Soy Protein Isolate. I hope that helps!

What Others Are Saying About This