I love the colors and flavors of Mexican food. On their own, avocado and cilantro are probably two of my favorite things, but add beans, tomatoes, cumin, and a bit of spice and well… that’s the start of some of my favorite meals!
Refried beans are so easy to make and they can be used in so many ways. So even if you don’t have tostadas on hand, try making them and finding creative uses for them.
Other uses for these refried beans:
- In hard or soft tacos or fajitas
- As a delicious taco salad filling
- Served on some Mexican quinoa or rice
- In mini Tostitos cups, topped with guacamole and salsa, for fun and easy appetizers
This recipe is versatile, so just use what you have on-hand…
I topped my tostadas with:
- shredded kale
- diced avocado and cucumber
- salsa (I didn’t have any store-bought stuff on hand so I quickly mixed some quartered grape tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice and cumin)
- cilantro (fresh coriander)
- Sriracha sauce
You can certainly fry the tostadas in some oil before topping them, but I’ve kept this really healthy and easy by just toasting up in the oven instead.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ large onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 can black beans, drained
- ¼ cup water
- 4 Tostadas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Shredded lettuce greens (kale works wonderfully!)
- Vegan sour cream
- Vegan shredded cheese
- Diced avocado
- Diced cucumber
- Cilantro (fresh coriander)
- Hot sauce
- Heat oil in large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic, and saute until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in chili powder and cumin powder, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the black beans and water, and cook until beans are tender, about 4 minutes. Use a large fork or potato masher to roughly mash the beans. Cook for another minute.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Brush the tostadas lightly with the oil and place on a cookie sheet. Bake for 5 minutes, then turn tostadas, and bake for 3-6 minutes longer until the tostadas are crisp and light brown.
- Divide and spread the refried bean mixture onto the 4 tostadas, add toppings, and serve with hot sauce, if desired.