Video: 5-Minute Vegan Taco Salad

Today I’m excited to be sharing something I’ve been wanting to do for a long time: recipe videos!

I created my VegangelaTV YouTube channel a few months ago with the goal of sharing quick and easy recipe ideas. For the first video, I decided to share my 5-Minute Vegan Taco Salad. It’s not really a recipe, but just something I throw together whenever I don’t feel like cooking, but still want something super tasty and healthy to eat. Take a look when you have a moment:

The video is a bit rough, but I should get a better handle on things as I make more of them. If you watched the video, I’d love to hear your feedback!

Recipe: 5-Minute Vegan Taco Salad

(Serves 1)

In a large bowl, add:

• 1 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste or butter)
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 1/2 tsp cumin powder
  • (you could also add: garlic, lemon/lime juice, salt and pepper OR use this Creamy Avocado Dressing)

Then whisk or stir it all together until you get a nice creamy consistency. To that, add:

• A couple handfuls of greens (dark leaves are best, so a good Mixed Lettuce, baby spinach, shredded or baby kale)
  • Handful of tomatoes (either a chopped up regular tomato, or handful of baby or grape)
  • ½ cup canned/cooked beans (Black, Kidney, Chickpeas, Lentils)
    (At this point, I like to stir everything up to get it well coated)
  • A couple handfuls of crushed corn chips
  • ½ avocado, diced
  • A bunch of cilantro (fresh coriander), chopped
  • A drizzle of hot sauce (I like Sriracha, but any hot sauce or even dried chili flakes works)

So that’s my very basic “recipe”, but I never really make the same salad twice, because I just use whatever I have on hand. Here are some other delicious options:

GRAINS

PROTEIN

VEGGIES

• Bell Peppers, Diced or Sliced
  • Cucumber, Diced
  • Carrot, Shredded
  • Cabbage, Shredded
  • Sprouts
  • Red Onions / Green Onions, Diced
  • Corn (canned, frozen, grilled)
  • Mushrooms, Sliced & Fried
  • Sweet Potato, Roasted
  • Butternut Squash, Roasted
  • Fresh Mango, Diced

TOPPINGS

BOWL
Instead of adding corn chips, you could serve the salad in a baked tortilla bowl. Kids would especially love that!

Q: Do you like watching video recipes? Would you like me to make more of them?

1. Emily says:

Well done and thanks so much for the video! Really enjoyed it and will be giving this salad a go. Looking forward to seeing some other recipe videos :) Keep them coming!

• Thanks so much Emily! I hope you like it… it’s so versatile, so you can really make it your own. Stay tuned for more videos :)

2. julie says:

great job! very fun — looks very tasty. only suggestion would be to tell people to used “cooked” beans since people who are new to cooking/preparing may not know this
    . if there are raw beans that are acceptable then you could mention that too. I enjoyed your video and would watch others. thank you :-)

• Thanks so much for the feedback Julie! And excellent point about the beans. I’ve just updated the video with that. Thanks again :)

3. carole says:

I really do like your taco salad video. Watching a video,I think, is much more inspiring than just reading a recipe.This is a great idea for a quick and nutritious dinner for me and my little vegan family..That’s great the way you give suggestions for customizing your salad. It might be fun to just set everything out and let everyone make their own.BTW, did you ,mention black olives?
    I always like to put a little bit of onions in my salad, maybe some thinly sliced purple ones?
    How about a little OJ in the dressing?
    No matter what,I am going to have to try the mango.This will be a perfect no-cook meal for the warmer weather coming.I can see having this for spring and all the way through summer
    Thanks!

• I’m so glad you found the recipe to be useful for you and your family. I love the idea of letting everyone make their own salads. Especially with homemade tortilla bowls. So fun! Thanks so much for your feedback ;)

4. Penny says:

I have MS and am on mission to “cure’ myself (I’ll settle for small improvements..lol) with diet. Energy is my No 1 prized possession, and MS makes sure you don’t have a lot. So a big part of my mission is finding ALL the tips, tricks, good advice and just plain common sense stuff about eating a WFPB (and no oil or gluten!) without wearing yourself out in the kitchen! I’m not sure how I found you (it was a few months ago) but I suspect it was some little thing just like this easy-peasy Taco Salad! Keep ‘em coming! I especially loved that super simple salad dressing – mixed in the bottoom of the salad bowl! I made it tonight – for a little Romaine side saiad (with red onions/capers – and some added salt/pepper/garlic) and it’s a keeper!! In fact, I was just out of black beans – but Tex-Mex is among my fav things. So…no doubt this one goes into weekly (or bi-weekly?) rotation immediately. Anyway – thanks for all the good info/inspiration. Really appreciate what you do!

• I’m sorry to hear about your MS but honored that my recipes are helping you on your mission to get better. I’m all about the one-pot recipes, and I’ve got a whole list here if you want more of them: http://vegangela.com/tag/one-pot/

I’m so glad you liked this “recipe” and video and were able to modify it to fit what you had on hand. That’s what it’s all about!

Again, thanks for your feedback, all the best to you, and please keep in touch and let me know what other recipes are working for you :)

Again, thanks for writing and good luck to you and

5. Jackie says:

Way to go Angela! I’ll be giving this a try in the near future. It’s nice to see simple and easy vegan meals that have lots of flavour! (especially for us newbies) It’s also nice to see the Angela behind Vegangela. A little constructive criticism ……smile more. ; )

Thanks and can’t wait for more videos!

J

• Thank you so much for that feedback and I’ll definitely smile more in my next one. I guess I was just a bit nervous this time around :)

6. Emma says:

Thanks so much Angela. I get ‘stuck’ eating the same food and your video has made me think. I’m going to have a go for lunch! xx

• You’re so welcome! I hope you enjoyed the salad :)

7. Great video! Can’t wait to see more. Love the idea of adding corn chips to a salad, they’re so crunchy.

• Thanks so much Deb :) The corn chips are my sneaky way of feeling as though I’m not “just eating salad”… He he!

8. lisa says:

love the video idea. I enjoy your site as well.

9. Lynette says:

Hi Angela, very nice to watch a video when looking for quick and easy recipes. Thanks for sharing

• You’re so welcome, I’m glad you enjoyed it :)

10. Natalie says:

Fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing these great ideas! I loved the video. Only suggestion would be if you need to read a list, put it by the camera lens – it was very off-putting watching your eyes flick left/right! Otherwise fantastic & looked yummy :-)

• Thanks! And thanks for that feedback, I’ll do that next time :)

11. Penny says:

I wrote a comment last evening – nice one. Did you not get it? Or not publish it for a reason? I’m getting other comments. lol….just curious.

• Hi Penny – Your comment was held for moderation because it was your first time commenting on this blog. I only got around to going through my comments now, so I apologize for the delay. You can see my reply to your original comment above :)

• Penny says:

Thanks Angela! A whole flood of posts from your site just came in. Whew….glad everything’s okay. I see some of your responses are dated the 13th (tomorrow for us folks in the Northern Hemisphere), That explains a lot too!

Thanks for that link to more of your quick meals…that’s really helpful!

And…I thought you did just fine in your video! I don’t care for the real fake smiles and hyper-Susy-sunshine types…lol. But you might leave up those links you were pointing to a little longer – for us people who are “finger un-flexible” challenged!

Thanks again for all you share!

• Yes, the time difference here is funny at times, because I’m writing from THE FUTURE. Ha ha…

Thanks for that feedback. I think when I get a moment, I’ll add those links to the text description beneath the video on YouTube, and to this page too…

12. Sharon McVeigh says:

Great video Angela, I believe most people are visual and will love the videos, I figured you were so focused on what you were doing that you didn’t realize that you weren’t smiling. it’s tough to remember everything.

i also love salads packed with lots of Stuff; much more interesting. Thanks for all of the additional suggestions, Most definitely keep more coming, Thanks, Sharon

• You’re totally right! I had only roughly scripted what I wanted to say, so sometimes I would forget things and it took me a couple “takes” to get everything right. So I wasn’t as “bubbly” by my 4th or 5th “take”. Ha!

Thanks for the feedback and I’ll try to get another video out soon ;)

13. Louise Thompson says:

Today I needed a quick lunch to cheer me up. We all have the blues here in snow country. I made your taco salad. It is absolutely delicious and I feel better already. This recipe will be a continual repeat in my home from now on. Many thanks.

14. I love watching recipe videos – much easier to eat and watch than to eat and scroll. I’m always looking for new recipes to add to my YT Channel. I don’t do my own videos, but I collect my faves and organize them. This one has been added. :)

• Oh that’s so great! Thanks so much :)

15. amy says:

Hiya. I’m a bit late to the game but I wanted to say that yes, like other people have said, recipe vids are much more inspiring than a giant wall of text (like a normal recipe is).

As for the video itself, when you’re just talking (and pointing at the links, loved that!) the plain white background is very austere. I would suggest some sort of background (nothing too overwhelming) and then just either situating yourself so that you have a blank wall for links and lists, or adding an easel with a large blank canvas (or whatever else you could use to insert the blank space you need) into the setting.

Other than that, I think this was a great first video. Can’t wait to see the next one!

• Thanks so much for that feedback! I’m limited with “backgrounds” in my house – that white glass wall is in my living room, where I have the most light. But I’ll try to think of other options for next time. Thanks again for taking the time to write :)